Here you will find links to the latest news related to the work of the Land Stewardship Action Fund. Press releases, blogs, social media announcements and media coverage of this work are all featured here.
Farm Bill Farce
On Sept. 4, 2018, Land Stewardship Project member-farmer Joel Penner co-authored an opinion piece in The Hill about how the proposed 2018 Farm Bill does not address the fact that we have a “bona fide farm crisis” in this country.
Talking to Candidates for Governor
The Land Stewardship Project and other Our Minnesota Future organizations held a major event with candidates for Minnesota governor on April 29, 2018, in Willmar, Minn. We focused on how the candidates will work with us toward the bold solutions that we need in rural communities and across Minnesota. Our Minnesota Future partner CURE posted a livestream video of the entire event on its Facebook page.
Our Minnesota Future Podcasts
Listed here are Land Stewardship Project podcasts featuring the voices of LSP members, staff and allies who are involved with the Our Minnesota Future initiative:
- Episode 211: LSP members talk to candidates for Minnesota governor about what should be prioritized when it comes to farmers, the land and rural communities.
- Episode 213: LSP executive director Mark Schultz describes why it’s critical that LSP join forces with other “people’s organizations” in our fight for change. (1st in a series on Our Minnesota Future)
- Episode 214: Vegetable producer Laura Frerichs talks about the connection between affordable healthcare, beginning farmers and thriving local economies. (2nd in a series on Our Minnesota Future)
- Episode 215: Jenna Sandoe talks about the opportunities rural communities offer young people like her. (3rd in a series on Our Minnesota Future)
- Episode 216: Veteran CSA farmer John Fisher-Merritt describes how top-notch beginning farmer training, healthy soil, good food and sustainable communities are linked. (4th in a series on Our Minnesota Future)
On-Farm Candidate Meetings
Land Stewardship Action has been busy in 2018 meeting with various candidates for public office. Check our Facebook page for photos and details.
A Local Control Victory
Victory! In August 2018, Newburg Township in southeastern Minnesota passed a moratorium on new factory farms in the community. More than 200 local LSP members, farmers, small business owners and residents showed up in support of the township board. The township now begins comprehensive planning and zoning to shape the future of their landscape. Land Stewardship Action supports political and community leadership that puts people and the land before corporate interests. This is what is so important about people being able to work through their local units of government—like townships — on issues like factory farms. Local control makes rural communities strong.